grumpycandycandy in Japan

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A taste of Sweden in Japan

Temperatures are still mild these days, as we enjoyed a glorious 22 degrees this weekend. To make the most out of it before winter arrives we had a barbecue with Hiroshi's friends.
The first part of the meal was a traditional or classical barbecue with some good meat that "melts in your mouth" (very important!), vegies, and mushrooms (there are many different types of mushrooms at this time of the year and they are very tasty on a grill).
The second part was a "surstroemming experience", less classical. Yes, someone actually dared to bring the dreadful surstroemming to Japan (and I think it was Hiroshi). For those who don't know surstroemming, it is fermented herring, a "delicacy" from the northern part of Sweden. The dish originated back in the 15th century, when fish was traditionally preserved in salt. The story goes that a cook failed to use enough salt one day. The fish began to ferment, and a new tradition was born. Bless him...
The herring is caught in late spring, then placed in a salt mixture in wooden barrels for several days. It is then moved into the sun, which shines almost around the clock this far north in summer, for a few months to ferment. After that it is shipped to stores in small tins. It's only sold in shops as of the third Thursday in August in order to allow for the proper fermentation period.
As you might guess, the thing smells pretty awfully bad. It does. Very very bad. Maybe only old garbage smells worse than surstroemming. Not kidding...
You can't possibly open a can of surstroemming inside a house, unless it is your enemy's house. When you open it you have to wear at least one pair of plastic gloves (2 is better, 3 even better). You have to put the can in a plastic bag during the operation because if you happen to spill some liquid on your skin or your clothes the smell will never ever go away. OK, it will eventually, but...
So, not only did we open a can of surstroemming, it was surstroemming that had expired in December 2004!! And that was the face of poor Aki while he opened it. I think he had fun...
We ate small pieces on "cracotte" bread, with onions, potatoes, and the whole thing has to be washed down by some snaps or beer of course. The verdict was that it tastes better than it smells. I must admit that when I tried it in Sweden this summer I found that the taste was OK. But then again, I'm French and we eat rotten cheese, so I guess it doesn't count.
Anyway, that was fun, I think everyone had a good time.
When will the next surstroemming expedition take place? Hum...I don't know, let's not hold our breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home