grumpycandycandy in Japan

Monday, November 28, 2005

Stay warm

Although we are now reaching December, temperatures are still quite mild during the day. At night it can be chilly though, and it is probably going to be kind of cold and wet in January-February. Except for the northern part of Japan, apartments here are not equipped with central heating. It is probably not necessary for most of the year, but still, for 3 months or so you want to be in a warm and cosy place. If you have air conditioning it is fine, but I think most people will buy some small portable heater that you just have to plug in and that will warm your legs. Doesn't sound great, but the best part of being in winter is that you can use your favorite futon heater (or bed heater). When I first heard about it I found it laughable and so kitsch, but now I can't be without. The concept is the following: the machine blows some hot air into an inflatable mattress that you put between your sheets something like an hour before going to bed. By the time you remove it the entire bed is warmed up for long enough for you to nicely fall asleep. This is definitely a "mai piu' senza" (Italians will know what I mean), even better than a "Bett Flasha" (oh, here I'm afraid only Alsacians know what I am talking about...).
Happy winter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home