grumpycandycandy in Japan

Monday, May 01, 2006

Tokyo Daibutsu


In the neighborhood there happens to be the third biggest statue of Buddha in Japan. Maybe not strictly speaking, because there are several categories like sitting Buddha, standing Buddha, indoor Buddha, outdoor Buddha etc... This one is a 13 meters high, sitting, bronze Buddha.
The statue is meditating in a hilltop compound that includes a huge wooden temple, a traditional temple bell, a family home, a scattering of statues of all kinds (among which the 7 gods of good fortune), and a graveyard.



Right beside there is a small botanical garden. It is a quiet place, hidden and forgotten from the Tokyo crowd, which by definition makes it a very pleasant spot.
Oh, and I forgot, the town is also the "birth place" of the famous Mos Burger fastfood chain (Japanese version of McDonald, check out the menu), that opened here in 1972. I know, you don't care...

8 Comments:

  • I care! MOS burger rules!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:41 AM  

  • Oh, and one more thing. MOS is NOT the Japanese version of Macdonalds. We have our own version of the franchaise that provide the same menu as any MacD in the world. Except maybe the Teriyaki-flavoured one which is not that bad. If one visits Japan and get tired of Sushi, Sukiyaki and Tempura after a while, MOS can be the place to go, if you are not a vegetarian or cannot eat those stuff for some reason.

    By Blogger Pawawaw, At 7:41 PM  

  • So they have burgers and fries.....isn't that a kind of McDonald's, even a good one???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:47 PM  

  • Wot?? Places servring burgers and some good old chips are not necessarily "a kind of Macdonalds". MOS's stuff are way way better. No contest. I cannot believe that someone is actually comparing the two.

    By Blogger Pawawaw, At 7:51 PM  

  • I knew it. All you wanted to say is that Japanese burgers are much better than burgers from the rest of the world.
    Get a life.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:54 PM  

  • Well, I don't know if it is much better, but if I have to choose, I will go for MOS. My current favourite is roh-su ka-tsu burger and MOS rice burger Kai-sen ka-ki-age. OK they are not exactly hamburgers, but still

    By Blogger Pawawaw, At 6:53 AM  

  • Hmm....I am afraid I never heard of the HES burger, therefore I cannot tell if it is a kind of equivalent to MOS.

    But believe me, apart from the fact that their burgers are slightly smaller than those you see elsewhere, they taste really nice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:38 AM  

  • Burgers from MOS are so small you can eat them in one bite.This way you have to buy more. Clever.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home