grumpycandycandy in Japan

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Nasu


I climbed a volcano, yey! OK, OK, it was actually only the last 350 meters slope out of the total 1950, but hey, if you include the way back it is 700 meters. And coming back seemed more difficult because of all the slippery pebbles. It's a volcano after all. An active one, that spits out sulphuric vapours here and there (thus producing a typical rotten egg smell). It is the main peak of the Nasu mountain range in central Japan, an area popular for its hot spring resorts. Traveling hot springs and spas are one of the favourite passtimes for Japanese people.


There are many types of hot springs (onsen), distinguished by the minerals dissolved in the water. Different minerals provide different health benefits, and all hot springs are supposed to have a relaxing effect on your body and mind. They come in many varieties, indoors and outdoors, gender separated and mixed etc... The commnon feature is that they have to be "enjoyed" completely naked. Since I find this quite embarrassing I don't think I will ever try any onsen. Not on my priority list, at least not until I get the body of Sharon Stone. :-(


About the poster: this was to remind us that there are some dangerous bears wandering around in the neighborhood ("it is cautious of a bear". LOL!). This one doesn't look too scary, but we actually saw a real one from the rope way that brought us to the starting point. Quite impressive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home