It's a wired country
One thing that surely strikes people when they first come to Japan are the electric wires that are all over. Everywhere you go, there's an intricate net of wires of all sizes above your head.One reason for not burying cables could be that there a too many earthquakes in Japan, it might cause important damage.
Another explanation I have heard is that electrification of Japan occurred after World War II, when Japan was quite poor.
During the first months I found myself strangely obsessed with those cables. I was looking at them all the time and was feeling an odd urge to takes pictures. I don't know, it might be sick, but at times I found a striking beauty in this proliferation of cables. Especially at sunset. I mean, in its own messy, frightening, mysterious way.And an unrelated bonus for today: strange clouds.
3 Comments:
Indeed, telegraph and electric wires are part of the Japanese urban scenary and yes I guess many who were brought up here would relate to the red/orange colour of the sky during sunset (夕焼けyuh-ya-ke).
Try googling images on the net with "夕焼け” will probably tell you that notion
By
Anonymous, At
8:14 AM
Oh, I see there are lots of people taking photos of electric wires at sunset. I didn't know that it was a kind of Japanese thing. Am I blending in? :-)
By
Anonymous, At
11:21 AM
Impressionnants tous ces cables, alors que chez nous, petit à petit, on les met sous terre.
Très belle photo des cables avec en arrière plan les nuages rouges.
Les photos des nuages sont extras. C'est vrai qu'il faudrait observer le ciel un peu plus souvent. On peut y voir des choses splendides!
Bye
Ger
By
Anonymous, At
7:06 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home