grumpycandycandy in Japan

Monday, October 22, 2007

Buying Fish

Let's face it: I'm not so good at buying fish. Somehow I ALWAYS manage to come home with the wrong type of fish.
It is supposed to be rather easy. People shop mostly in supermarkets, where they can find nearly anything and even pre-cut fish is of good quality.
I sometimes need to buy fish that requires little or no cooking, and that's when I pick the one that is only OK for making broth!
Time to learn a few tricks:







Photo number one is Swordfish and photo number two is Tuna.

1- The price. One of them is 1.7X more expensive for roughly the same weight, in spite of the promotional offer (see -6-). This is already a strong hint.

2- Date of processing (same day for both).

3- Good until. One of them is good for only one day and the other one can be kept for two days. Another hint.

4- Indicates that it has been frozen. This is found on both labels, fine.

5- Those are the Kanji "for sashimi". Can be eaten raw. This can only be seen on the label for fish#2 ------> this is our fish!

I guess I'll have to learn a few Kanji by heart if I want to buy appropriate fish or meat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home