grumpycandycandy in Japan

Friday, January 25, 2008

A fashion show



This is an event that happened last December, and I have to precise that those are not my own photos, I found them in a newspaper online (I might get sued for this).
It was a fashion show, but not just any kind of fashion show. A proper "défilé" held at the Tsukiji Honganji temple in Tokyo, aiming at promoting Buddhism.







The "Tokyo Bouz (monk) Collection" was presented on the catwalk by monks and nuns themselves with a background of rap music (!).
On the first photo a monk is throwing confetti resembling lotus petals for the finale of the show.




I hope I am not offending anyone with this post, it is not my intention to mock the event. I just find this aspect of Buddhism strikingly different from other organised religions (as far as I know), but my intention wasn't to enter a religious debate.
I am wondering though, did they win back believers after this show?




3 Comments:

  • There are also some temples opening a cafe inside. I think they belong to the same sect (Jodo-shinshyu) that organized the fashion show.

    I am not sure if I agree with this kind of pandering to the younger generation, but then again they need some attention (and money) to survive.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:08 PM  

  • Oh, and the word "bouzu" can refer to a particular hairstyle which is of course skin head in Japan.

    You can go to any barber in Japan and ask "to make you a bouzu".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:15 PM  

  • A cafe' inside a temple, that shall be interesting!

    By Blogger Marie W, At 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home